Saturday, August 7, 2010

Udaipur - the lake city

Jack and I arrived in Udaipur after a crazy time in Delhi. The lake just flowed in two weeks ago as it was completely dry before. Hello monsoon season. The rain hasn't been too bad, in fact it gives us a rest from the heat, and only comes in for 10 minutes then disappears for another hour.

In Udaipur, we visited the grand City Palace (built in the 1600's) and decided to spoil ourselves with 'high tea' with scones and biscuits. We felt very posh even though we were sweaty and in our backpacker clothes. The palace kind of reminded us of the Banff Springs, but older. No Octapussy island for us (the lake palace island), I guess you can take a boat trip there but you can't actually get off due to fear of terrorist attacks, unless you're a paying guest willing to fork over $5000 dollars for one night.

One morning we signed up for hatha yoga with a group of 8 travelers. The room was pretty scuzzy and I tried not to focus on the dirty mat every time I went into downward dog. Our yoga instructor did a lot of talking, unfortunately most of which I totally couldn't understand, so the yogi knowledge was lost on me. We signed up for a nice ayurvedic massage which has a lot of oils and pressure points but helped work out the knots from the traveling. We also had lots of little coffees at Cafe Namaste, ate cinnamon buns and read our books.

The city has beautiful architecture, quite a few of the older buildings have intricate details and the streets are very narrow with cobblestones. You have to mind the cow dung, so after stepping in a few rain puddles of poo, I switched out of the flip flops.

The "Delhi belly" hit me on my second day here, but thankfully after many meds I came out of it on day four with Jack taking care of me. We had a nice A/C room at the Jaghir Niwat hotel, a great place to hang out while you're sick!

Click here for a map of Udaipur with some photos from the area:

No comments:

Post a Comment